Looking for an easy, quick pasta dish that tastes like something from your favorite gourmet cookbook? Try this Chickpea and Kale Rigatoni! Chorizo or Italian sausage combine with hearty chickpeas and leafy green kale for a delicious pasta your family will ask for again and again. The best part? This Chickpea and Kale Rigatoni makes use of smoky bread crumbs for a finishing touch your taste buds will thank you for!
• 2 tbsp. olive oil
• 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
• 1/2 c. panko bread crumbs
• 8 oz. chorizo or hot Italian sausage, casings removed
• 1 tbsp. tomato paste
• 1 c. chicken broth
• 2 cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
• 2 large bunches kale (about 1 1/4 lbs. total), stemmed and chopped (about 20 c.)
• 12 oz. rigatoni
• 2 oz. Asiago or Romano cheese, finely grated, plus more for serving
1. In a large skillet on medium-high, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add smoked paprika and cook, stirring often, 30 seconds. Add panko and pinch salt and cook, stirring, until toasted, about 3 minutes. Transfer crumbs to plate.
2. Wipeout skillet and heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil on medium-high. Add chorizo or Italian sausage; cook, breaking up with a spoon, until browned, 5 to 7 minutes.
3. Add tomato paste and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add broth and simmer, stirring occasionally, until sauce is reduced by one-third, 4 to 6 minutes.
4. Add chickpeas and cook until heated through 2 minutes. Stir in kale and 1/4 teaspoon salt and cook until tender, 2 to 3 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, cook rigatoni as label directs. Reserve 1 cup cooking liquid, then drain pasta and return to pot. Toss with chickpea mixture and Asiago or Romano cheese, adding some of the reserved cooking liquid if the pasta seems dry. Serve sprinkled with bread crumbs and more cheese, if desired.
Coming up with new meal ideas can be a challenge. Luckily, Fairways at Lincoln Apartments in Lincoln, Nebraska makes it simple by presenting deliciously realistic options, such as this one!